What is this blog?

This is a brief personal account of my knee surgery - Patellar Chondroplasty - I had done at the Steadman Clinic in Vail by Dr.LaPrade. The opinions expressed on this blog are my personal opinions and do not represent that of my employer, groups, or schools of the past, present, or future ... nor has any of this information or case account been approved or confirmed by Dr.LaPrade or anyone at the Steadman Clinic.

7.03.2011

Deciding to Have Surgery

I was not easily convinced on the slicing thing.
All of my aunts have had knee surgery and it seems anything but convenient.

And I didn't go straight to surgery.
I tried EVERYTHING.
muscle strengthening - especially quad
physical therapy
homeopathic medicine
vitamin and nutritional supplements
more physical therapy
I even walked around like a dork with some muscle activating tape on my legs for a while, hoping that would tighten up my muscles and hold my knee together ...
EVERYTHING.
Nothing worked.

Some of it helped, don't get me wrong.
But I wanted to be at a D1 athlete level ...
cute leg tape can only go so far.

When my knee got to the point of ruining my life ... that's when I caved.
For a good 6 months, I wasn't able to exercise much, run far, climb a ton of stairs ...
I felt like a grandma.
I had difficulty rock climbing. Hiking long hikes. Biking was still ok.
Anything that would put the majority of my body weight on my left leg
I tried to avoid.



Skiing was the stick that broke the camel's back.
This winter, I couldn't keep up with my boyfriend ...
and ladies, we all no THAT isn't ok. 
I would get home from a day trip and couldn't even find my knee ...
it was so swollen ... just straight thigh to calf.

That was when I decided to see Dr.LaPrade.
They say he's the best of the best so I met with him.

Xrays, MRIs, all kinds of pictures were taken
and Dr.LaPrade said he could help me.
Surgery was booked for summer.

No comments: