What is this blog?

This is a brief personal account of my knee surgery - Patellar Chondroplasty - I had done at the Steadman Clinic in Vail by Dr.LaPrade. The opinions expressed on this blog are my personal opinions and do not represent that of my employer, groups, or schools of the past, present, or future ... nor has any of this information or case account been approved or confirmed by Dr.LaPrade or anyone at the Steadman Clinic.

7.08.2011

Pre-Op

#1 rule of knee surgery pre-op at the Steadman Clinic in Vail:
ENJOY VAIL


The Steadman clinic had me come up the day before surgery, Monday
(surgeries are done Tuesday).

This is where I got a lot more details on my procedure,
and actual surgery time for the next morning,
I met the whole surgical team,
and learned what to expect for the next couple days.

They gave me a checklist
and I ran around the hospital talking to each person/office on the list.
I had my blood drawn and had to give them some juices,
but overall, it was a low key day.

They say this pre-op appointment can take 2-4 hours.
So just be ready for that. Don't make fancy lunch plans.
Mine took about 2.
It helps if you can complete some of the forms the week before over the phone
(they will call you).

One thing to keep in mind if you're getting ready for a surgery with Dr.LaPrade-
he won't do your surgery if you are sick.
ANY kind of sick.
No infections.
No cuts on the limb that's going to be operated on.
No coughs or sniffles.
Nothing.
He wants the healing to be a smooth as possible,
so just be careful.

I would personally recommend a morning surgery if you get any preference.
You won't be allowed to eat after midnight the night before surgery,
so the later your surgery is the next day,
the hungrier you will be. 

Other than that, 
just enjoy your last days of walking,
jumping,
maybe skip a little.
Enjoy your last shower for 2 weeks, without a leg guard.
Cross your legs
and stand on one foot.
Soak it up.

No comments: